Mom gave us many things, and among them was a love of cooking and an entire file cabinet full of recipes. There's one thing that we can do every day to keep her in our hearts. (and in our stomachs) Use her recipes on a regular basis! I know we all make Scotcheroos, and other favorites, but there are SO MANY good ones. I'm going to test some of them, make notes, and share them with you on my blog. And Heidi and Pam are helping! (See the notes to determine who tested the recipe)

Friday, October 30, 2009

Cook's Illustrated French Onion Soup

(Modified, and saved for posterity, since it was so good)

3 large sweet (I used Mayan) onions, sliced thin
2-4 TB butter - enough to get them cooking, and softening

Cook for 30-35 minutes until reduced, syrupy and brown.

Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring to a simmer
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups beef broth
(*I know! I would have thought it was the other way around)
1/4 cup red wine
2 sprigs parsley
(not chopped)
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf


When onions are ready, ladle some of the hot liquid into the onions, and stir it up to grab all the yummy bits from the pan, and pour it all in to the broth. Weed out the herbs after it has cooked together for a little while, maybe 5 minutes.

Cube some italian bread, ladle a good heaping portion of soup in oven proof bowls, and top with the bread and a couple of slices of swiss cheese. Top with one or two tablespoons of grated fresh parmasean, and broil for around 10 minutes or until nice and crusty.

This was the best onion soup I've ever tasted, much less come out of my kitchen.

(the recipe called for one tablespoon balsamic vinegar stirred in at the last minute but I forgot!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me