Mom gave us many things, and among them was a love of cooking and an entire file cabinet full of recipes. There's one thing that we can do every day to keep her in our hearts. (and in our stomachs) Use her recipes on a regular basis! I know we all make Scotcheroos, and other favorites, but there are SO MANY good ones. I'm going to test some of them, make notes, and share them with you on my blog. And Heidi and Pam are helping! (See the notes to determine who tested the recipe)

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Caramel Bars


















Open House Sunday! Time to make some more goodies...

Caramel Bars (recipe originally from Gen Theirl)

Melt 32 caramels with 5-7 Tbsp milk or cream in a double boiler

Meanwhile, mix
1 Cup quick oatmeal
3/4 C brown sugar
3/4 C butter or oleo
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 C flour
Line a greased pan with 2/3 of crumb mixture. Bake at 350 for 10 min.

Then spread caramel over hot crumb mixture in pan. Top with 1 C chocolate chips and 1/4 C nuts. Then top with remaining crumb mixture.

Bake at 350 for another 15-20 minutes.

Cary's notes:
I wasn't sure of the size pan to use - and it didn't seem like enough for an typical bar (9x13) so I used a small Dansk rectangular pan that is probably the equivalent of a 9x9 pan. I'm quite sure this recipe is intended to produce a small pan of bars!

I used regular oatmeal and pecans as my nut of choice.

Everyone who came through the open house loved these! I did too.

For the record, a bag of Kraft caramels contains approx. 48 caramels, so you could probably do 1.5 times the ingredients and get a large pan out of it without going to the store for any more ingredients!


1 comment:

  1. I'd do it the quick way and use a jar of caramel ice cream topping and not add milk to it! I've done that in another recipe that uses caramels. Life is too short to unwrap all of those sticky caramels!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me