Mom gave us many things, and among them was a love of cooking and an entire file cabinet full of recipes. There's one thing that we can do every day to keep her in our hearts. (and in our stomachs) Use her recipes on a regular basis! I know we all make Scotcheroos, and other favorites, but there are SO MANY good ones. I'm going to test some of them, make notes, and share them with you on my blog. And Heidi and Pam are helping! (See the notes to determine who tested the recipe)

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Picnic Sketti (Spaghetti)

1/2 lb. bacon
1 medium onion
1 green pepper
1- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
Fry bacon. Dice onion and pepper and fry in bacon grease until tender. Fry meat in same pan. Drain and place in large casserole or Dutch oven. Cook 1 1/2 lb. spaghetti. Drain and add to meat mixture. Add tomato soup, undiluted, till of a good moist consistency (about 1 large and 2 small cans).
Bake at 350 for 1 hour. If desired, lay a couple of strips of bacon over the top before baking.

This recipe is from the Deschene family. Grammy Riley was Annette Deschene.

Pam says- I made a big batch of this today. I used 2 lbs. of meat, 2 lbs. of spaghetti, 1 large and 3 small cans of soup. A co-worker had surgery and it's my turn to take dinner to her tomorrow! This big batch filled 2 3 qt. casseroles- one for her and 1 for me! I used precooked Oscar Mayer bacon and just warmed it up in the frying pan to get a little bacon flavor (since most of the grease has been cooked out by our friends at Oscar Mayer!) I use 90% lean ground chuck. I also rinse the meat after I drain it. I haven't been able to find Healthy Request soup in the large size, so I had a mix of regular and Healthy Request soup in this yummy casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me