Mom gave us many things, and among them was a love of cooking and an entire file cabinet full of recipes. There's one thing that we can do every day to keep her in our hearts. (and in our stomachs) Use her recipes on a regular basis! I know we all make Scotcheroos, and other favorites, but there are SO MANY good ones. I'm going to test some of them, make notes, and share them with you on my blog. And Heidi and Pam are helping! (See the notes to determine who tested the recipe)

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lobscotch

2 C. cubed potatoes- big chunks
2 C. raw celery- big chunks
1 C. green pepper- big chunks
2 C. canned tomatoes (diced or stewed or whole and smashed up a bit)
1 lb. hamburger, fried and drained
1 C. sliced onions
salt and pepper

Cook, covered at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover the last 20 minutes.

Babette Rice

I called Babette to tell her I was making this and ask her advice about what kind of tomatoes to use. She gave me the answer I typed above! I used diced. Her tip was to make the raw hamburger into meatballs to put on top of the casserole. She doesn't mix anything with the hamburger. She layers the vegies, ends with meatballs and dumps the tomatoes on top! I had my meat browned, so it was too late for me to try the meatballs. It smelled wonderful while it was cooking. She suggested serving it with Pillsbury french bread, from the tube, to soak up the juice. This recipe is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me