Mom gave us many things, and among them was a love of cooking and an entire file cabinet full of recipes. There's one thing that we can do every day to keep her in our hearts. (and in our stomachs) Use her recipes on a regular basis! I know we all make Scotcheroos, and other favorites, but there are SO MANY good ones. I'm going to test some of them, make notes, and share them with you on my blog. And Heidi and Pam are helping! (See the notes to determine who tested the recipe)

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

An addition to the book!


Mom was a big fan of dips and hors d'oeuvres, so I definitely would have shared this recipe with her - so I'm sharing it with you.

I've made this twice in the last week - I just found the recipe in a Cooking Light cookbook that I borrowed from the library - and both times it was a huge hit.














Asian Peanut Dip

1/2 Cup natural-style peanut butter
1/3 Cup reduced-fat firm silken tofu
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth, scraping sides. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 days. Yield: 1 Cup (serving size: 2 Tablespoons - 122 calories)

I served it with celery sticks. It's like peanut butter & celery only way better, with an asian twist and a little touch of heat.

Pam, I can see you turning up your nose at the tofu, but don't! You don't taste it - it just thickens the dip and makes it more dippy and less sticky! Also, don't worry about all the natural-style / low-sodium labels - just use what you have. The only thing you might have to go buy is a block of tofu - it's easy to find right in the natural food section.

Also, you should just go ahead and double the recipe when you make it - it's that good.

Sorry I didn't take a picture, because I served it on a bamboo cutting board piled with celery and the dip in a bright red bowl - it was super cute!

* then I went to the cooking light website and found a picture, plus this suggestion:

Serve this dip with crudités or as a spread for grownup peanut butter sandwiches made with thick slices of whole-wheat country bread, grated carrots, sliced cucmbers, and lettuce.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I'll toss in a few of my favorite pupu (finger food) recipes too. HDR

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me