Mom gave us many things, and among them was a love of cooking and an entire file cabinet full of recipes. There's one thing that we can do every day to keep her in our hearts. (and in our stomachs) Use her recipes on a regular basis! I know we all make Scotcheroos, and other favorites, but there are SO MANY good ones. I'm going to test some of them, make notes, and share them with you on my blog. And Heidi and Pam are helping! (See the notes to determine who tested the recipe)

Monday, April 20, 2009

Ciatti's Salad

Dressing
3 T olive oil
2 T red wine vinegar
2 t lemon juice
1 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1/2 t oregano
1/4 t ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Salad
8-10 C torn romaine or leaf lettuce
3 tomatoes, cut in wedges
1/2 C shredded carrots
1/2 C mild banana pepper rings
1/4 C pitted black olives
1/4 C parmesan cheese.

Combine dressing ingredients- shake well and chill. Combine salad ingredients- pour dressing over and toss.
6-8 servings

Grand Prize- Madison State Journal contest

Pam and Mark really didn't like this dressing. It didn't taste at all llke the dressing we enjoy at our local Ciatti's. I made it late morning in a Tupperware salad mixer. I shook and shook it. I put it in the fridge. I shook it again early in the afternoon. I shook it again before pouring it ine the salad. It didn't blend at all. The oregano and pepper just sat on the top and made the romaine look brown. I used my usual EV oil and everything else was fairly fresh. Maybe I should have put it in the blender and whipped it. Maybe a glass container would have been better to store it in. Maybe the ingredients listed aren't accurate. I did follow the recipe accurately! It had a bad after taste. I was really bummed- I was looking forward to a great salad. If anybody else tries this, please let me know how it turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes mixing dressing in a food processor or with a wire whisk will help blend/emulsify the oil and vinegar.

    Fresh herbs would probably be more flavorful than dried.

    I'll give this one a try once my new kitchen is up and running.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me